Sunday, October 21, 2007




in my searches of my dad's computer, I found more pictures.
i went on a pioneer trek with my family's home ward. i had been the mia maid advisor for a year and i LOVE them. so to get to be with them for 4 days was a dream ---the idea of walking for 4 days wasn't, but...what do ya do?
in preparation, we had a fireside highlighting a number of stories of pioneers. they became real people with real lives. i was asked to represent a mother of twin babies. these babies were sick on the ship to america. the rule was that sick people were tossed over board in order to save the rest of the passengers. this young mother had to toss her two babies!!!!!!! she prayed that they would die before they had to be tossed. they did. but, the anguish must have been great. i was able to sing a lullaby she might have sung. i was a tender moment for me.
the trek itself was incredible!!! there wasn't ANY complaining, arguing, disobedience, etc. everyone was excited to be there and to participate fully. i walked the entire thing in my chacos - note them in one of the pictures :)
i was also asked to be Miss Fortune. i wore all black and gave each family a misfortune the pioneers might have had along the trails!!! too fun!
a deeply powerful moment for me was getting to teach the women before they had the women's pull. it was an insightful, teaching moment in my life. who knows what all the women and girls gained, but i gained a lot.
if i can find more pictures the trek, i will post them. until then....

2 comments:

Scoresbys said...

We go on trek this summer. I'll be needing lots of help. Why can't you be one of my counselors. Actually, you are now officially called as my long distance 3rd counselor. Any opposed? No? Good. We have a meeting on Sunday. Bring some muffins and juice.

Anonymous said...

I love the Miss Fortune idea. Can you give me some of the misfortunes you used?