Sunday, November 8, 2009

there are a couple thoughts on my mind today . . .

#1
i get to be the gospel essentials teacher in my ward. this is a class for new members or people interested in learning what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe. AND, it's for any member. today was the first lesson and it was on God the Father.


here are my notes:

God the Father

(on the board i had the word "ABBA" and talked about how it is the greatest word in all of scriptures to me. it is what the Savior called the Father in the Garden of Gethsemane. it means "father", but it is the intimate form of the word; "Daddy". to me, it represents the intimacy the Lord would have us have with Him.)

  • What things testify to me that there is a God?
    • Alma 30:44
  • What are some of God’s attributes?
    • Bible Dictionary Faith
  • Why is it important to understand the nature of God?
  • How can we come to know God?
    • Who is someone you feel you truly know?
      • Hearts match. Similar hopes, dreams, behaviors, understandings.
  • What is dad’s paying job? What is dad’s character? How do the two influence each other?
  • What does knowing the nature of God strengthen my relationship with Him?
    • Bible Dictionary Prayer
  • Why would knowing your Father in Heaven help you better know yourself?
  • What characteristics of our Father would you like to possess in this life?
  • Does knowing who you truly are change your daily decisions? Why? How?
  • What does the Lord do to demonstrate these characteristics to us?

Robert D. Hales, “Seeking to Know God, Our Heavenly Father, and His Son, Jesus Christ,” Ensign, Nov 2009, 29–32

Most of us will not see God, as the prophets have, but the still, small promptings of the Spirit—the thoughts and feelings that the Holy Ghost brings into our minds and hearts—will give us an undeniable knowledge that He lives and that He loves us.

Even more, with your own testimony of God, you will be able to bless your family, your posterity, your friends, your own life—all those you love. Your personal knowledge of God is not only the greatest gift you will ever give, but it will bring you the greatest joy you will ever have.


As a special witness of the Only Begotten Son of our loving Heavenly Father, even Jesus Christ, I testify that God lives. I know He lives. I promise that if you and those you love will seek Him in all humility, sincerity, and diligence, you will know with a surety too. Your witness will come. And the blessings of knowing God will be yours and your family’s forever.


The Book of John:

Bruce R. McConkie, “Understanding the Book of Revelation,” Ensign, Sep 1975, 85

In my judgment the Gospel of John ranks far ahead of those of Matthew, Mark, or Luke; at least John’s record of the life of our Lord is directed to the saints; it deals more fully with those things that interest people who have received the gift of the Holy Ghost, and who have the hope of eternal life. But even ahead of his gospel account stands this wondrous work, the book of Revelation; or at least so it seems to those who are prepared to build on the foundations of the gospels and epistles and to go forward forever in perfecting their knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom.


To this there is an unqualified answer. It was John—John the Beloved, he who wrote the Gospel of John and the three epistles that bear his name.


Neal E. Lambert and Richard H. Cracroft

In this book [the Gospel of John] we feel, through the prophetic sensitivities of John, the great soul of Jesus. We sense perhaps more intimately than any other place in scripture the divinity and godhood of the living Son of God.


He “was God.” But he was a God who “was made flesh and dwelt among us” (John 1:14), and so was known to men—to some only at a distance, to some secondhand. But to a few he was known closely, intimately. And it is the voice of one of those intimates that speaks to us in this Gospel. John, the beloved apostle, had not only heard the words of the living Lord, he had “leaned on his breast at supper.” (John 21:20.) He not only knew the teachings of Jesus, he knew, in a way we can hardly appreciate, the stirrings of that divine heart. It is the profound depths of that heart and the infinite heights of that divine glory that John presents for us in his Gospel.



John 17:3

And this is life eternal that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.


John 18:19

Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.


John 5:19

Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.


John 7:16

Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

John 8:28

Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, these things.


These things I know:

  • He wants more than even I want for my life.
  • Like when I am asking Mom and Dad for something that I have shown my sincerity, my working, my desire for, of course they will give it to me, IF it is the best thing for me.

there you go. the notes of the lesson. it was a learning time for me today in class, like it always it. i selfishly love to teach because i get to steal people's thoughts.

#2
today was the Primary Program. our Primary president is wonderful. she encourages and molds the activities and events to allow thinking from the children. and today was no exception. the children prepared their own thoughts about topics. Primary children accompanied the songs, soloed in the songs, gave talks, and shared memories and articles of faith. it was powerful. yes, i was weepy.



#3
inspired relationships. i feel like i have a lot of them. and i love it. i am in awe by the people i get to know. there are people that i know that i have in my life for what i learn with them and from them. people that help me see who i want to be more clearly in certain areas. people with whom i can share tender, sacred parts of my heart and thoughts. people with whom i need to become something more.

with that, sweet dreams. it's time for a priceless Sunday nap. ;-)

3 comments:

melimba said...

don't be a hater, I didn't read all your notes, even though I am sure they are great. But, I did read your bullet marks.
I didn't realize it was the ward's primary program today. Cool about all the special numbers with KIDS accompanying.
Our program is next week, and the only fancy thing we have is a FLUTE solo playing the descant to our last song. hmmm... maybe not as impressive as your wards, but hopefully it will turn out nice.

anyway, i love you.
glad i get to be your friend AND sister.

Tamilisa said...

Wow, great lesson! So, do you love going to a family ward? I've thought about it...

Logan and Emily said...

Thanks for posting! I needed it after the chaos that was church yesterday!