Saturday, April 10, 2010

yearbook

have i mentioned that i am the yearbook person for our school?? if not, let me mention it now. tah-dah!! i am in charge of the yearbook! i don't remember volunteering for it. but i seem to volunteer for lots of things, so i think someone just assumed i would.

although our school is k-8, we try to do as many things as we can to allow the middle school kids to feel separate from elementary. in this case, it means two different yearbooks. and yes, i get to create both. well, let me rephrase that, i am the advisor/teacher of the yearbook "class" (aka, i am making them). they are due on thursday. and the online program from the company we are using isn't working. and yes, i did read the instructions, and watch the tutorials. 

thus, i am up at 12:39 am friday night/saturday morning. with a headache from the program and various other things (i.e. a student finding and catching a bird at school and freaking me out with it. i screamed in shock. then i screamed to make them laugh, then i screamed in fear, and then i wanted to scream because my headache was already beyond pounding by 11:00 am). 

as i have uploaded oodles and oodles of pictures, i have found some from students that were fun, and remembered that i hadn't downloaded pictures from the logan weekend!

mary is one of those tender friends that i hold very near and dear to me. it's always right where we left off when we talk, and i am able to let my walls down. she married a guy we went to high school with - and whom we adored. they live in logan while jon is finishing his PhD. mary allowed me a moment to practice speaking. i went up friday, february 26th so that i could speak saturday morning. 

eric met me in logan :) we stayed at his brother and sister-in-law's home (also in logan, too cool) and then eric came to be my cheerleader as i spoke at mary's Relief Society meeting. he was a trooper because he was the lone man in a room full of girly, teary women - a trooper and very, very brave! 

then the four of us "Cavemen" went to dinner! it had been a long long time since i had been on a double date! eric and i stopped and said hello to "aunt kathy" before heading back south. "aunt kathy" is pretty much a real true aunt. when we lived in california (4th -9th grade for me) there were a few families that we celebrated thanksgiving and Christmas with every year. we created our own "extended family". through the years, kathy has always and continues to take care of us. she understands lots of things and is a very safe place. we had fun meeting and catching up with all the barber clan as they were gathered to play for the weekend. 

then eric and i just played for a few days - In and Out was at the top of the "to-do" list and yum . . . . that place has made so many people happy. 

maybe i'll need to swing by there later this week, if i don't have a nervous breakdown by the time this/these yearbooks are done!!

oh! and ps - one day when eric and i were at the mall, i ran into three of my 6th graders!! they are now 18 and 19 year old men, but they were 6th graders my first year teaching!! talk about a teacher's dream. i LOVE seeing MY kids!

2 comments:

KJP said...

You are cute! KP

katie and co. said...

Oh my gosh! That's Mary Jones! HOW FUN! I didn't realize (or maybe I forgot) that you guys were good friends. Her brother Jason married my hubby's sister Mimi. And her sister Liz was best friends with my sister Ginny. We would get together here and there and Mary and I would hang out. And, we just plain old love the Jones family. What a good friend. Please tell her hello from me!